Access Statement for
KESWICK CLIMBING WALL AND ACTIVITY CENTRE
Keswick Climbing Wall and Activity Centre is a facility to be enjoyed by individuals, families and organised groups all year round, whatever the weather. The Climbing Wall itself has 300 square metres of climbing with a height of up to 8 metres providing climbers of all abilities with every challenge they could want. We also have a purpose built 100 square metres of bouldering cave to challenge the experienced and complete beginners alike. We also can provide a range of fully instructed activities for individuals and groups which include: Ghyll Scrambling, Mountain Biking, Orienteering, High Ropes Course, Team Building, Kayaking and Canoeing.
• Telephone: 017687 772000
• Fax: 017687 78463
• Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
• Web: www.keswickclimbingwall.co.uk
• On local bus route ~ stops outside the building.
• Keswick is the nearest town: less than 5 mins from town centre to Wall by car, 20 to 30 min walk.
• Guests can be picked (for a small fee) from local area up if pre-arranged.
• Specialised climbing / activity equipment is supplied if on an Instructed session or climbing gear can be hired from the Wall if climbing unsupervised.
Arrival & Car Parking Facilities
• Car parking is provided: 30 spaces + 2 disabled spaces
• There is a designated disability parking area next to the Wall entrance on level ground.
• Drop off point outside the front door
• Gravel surface on roads and paths with a concrete pad entrance.
• No dropped kerbs
• There is rear access to vehicles once parked
• No speed bumps / traffic calming
• There are gates at the drive entrance
• Contact details are displayed externally
• Signs are clear words and pictures
• From your car it is gravel, outside, short walk (10 to 50 m), PIR lighting at night in the car park and the front of the building is lit, no steps to negotiate.
Main Entrance, Reception & Ticketing Area
• There is one main entrance with larger access doors available.
• The main entrance is 1 40m wide, with a permanent wooden hand rail (6.33m long and 1.20m high), a concrete floor with a coir carpet, no edging and lit from above and from the reception window.
• Assistance can be provided if requested, no loop system available, music can be turned down / off (but low anyway), pen and paper available if requested.
• The Wall is well lit with non dark spots: natural and spotlights
• Seating is available at reception and throughout the building
• You can be shown around by a staff member if requested
• Main entrance door is side hung 90cm though there is next to it a sliding door which is 3.40m wide or another at 1.41 m wide
• The wall is open 9am to 5pm daily and to 9pm Tue / Wed / Thur during the winter or when requested
• Reception desk is in the main entrance and 1.40m high ~ lit by the main office and reception lights
• The floor is level from outside to entrance to reception
• The signs are various font sizes but are clear and easy to read
• The reception area is 3.5 x 5.5 m ~ no doors leading in or out of it
• There is a bright yellow skirting around the climbing area to designate to climbing mats / area
• No mirrors, glass at the reception desk
• There is a 12 cm step into the reception office. This office is not accessed by the public at any time. The staff employed at the Wall have to be physically able to achieve and maintain the standards required by the National Governing Body awards they hold (awards in climbing / canoeing / kayaking / mountain walking) to carry out their duties effectively and safely. The step will be painted bright yellow to highlight it to the staff.
Public Areas - Hall, Stairs, Landing, Corridors etc
• No lifts / escalators required as building is on one level
• The floor is concrete (painted dark red) with a (brighter red) coir carpet in the entrance and rubber climbing mats in the climbing area / mats edged in wood (painted bright yellow) 90cm high, with non slip ramps from ground to mat level. Bouldering mat is 30cm and is covered in a bright red carpet
• No public telephone
• No induction loop or teletext services / lighting as before / signs as before
• Fire door is 1.30m wide and is alarmed
• Assistance dogs welcome throughout the building NO other dogs though
• Apart from the reception area there are no corridors / handrails / restrictions to width ~ it is an open area
• Toilets are indoors on the level concrete area with male, female and disabled facilities available.
Public Areas - Sitting room, lounges, lobbies etc
• Picnic tables provided
• Storage units for climbers gear
• See Public Areas (Hall Stair etc)
Restaurant / Dining Room, Bar & Bar area, Take Away & Cafe
• Vending machines with cold drinks and chocolate
• Indoor climbing wall providing instructed session and unsupervised climbing and bouldering
• NGB and development courses available
• Able to offer outdoor activities (ghyll scramble / kayaking / canoeing / mountain biking /orienteering / high ropes courses / archery / outdoor climbing / mountain walking / initiative exercises) with qualified and experienced staff
• AALA licensed
Conference & Meeting Rooms, Banqueting
• None available at the moment
Clubs & Entertainment
Bedrooms & Sleeping Areas
Bathroom, Shower-room & WC [Ensuite or Shared]
Caravans, Holiday Homes & Twin Units
Touring Facilities (Holiday Parks)
Boats - Narrow Boat, Cruiser & Hotel Boat
Attractions (Displays, exhibits, rides etc.)
Grounds and Gardens
• As described before
• Clearly marked and signed Fire Exits and assembly point
• No smoking policy as required by law
• Staff trained in emergency procedures and are all first aid trained
Address: KESWICK CLIMBING WALL
Telephone: 017687 72000
Fax: 017687 78463
Hours of operation: 9am to 5pm daily
and until 9pm Tues / Wed / Thurs in winter
other late nights by arrangement
• Indoor toilets ~ including disabled
• More climbing area developed
• landscaping outside area
Contact Telephone and Email Address
We welcome your feedback to help us continually improve if you have any comments please phone 01768778463 or email email@example.com
Created: 19 October 2009